Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Computer Glitch

Here I am again, dealing with my recurring nightmare: hard drive failure. No email. No internet. No games. The kids have had to stay late do their homework on the computers in the school library. No calendar. Oops, missed an important appointment this morning. No contact list. I have to reenter my contact list because I couldn't get it to back up the other day?!! Aaaaaaaagh! No fun.

So, what's the problem? We have a non-descript disk read error that balks at our efforts at rehabilitation. We tried everything we know and a few things we didn't (thanks to a few kind and merciful computer geniuses we know) to make it work, but nothing helped. I have had four days of moody pre-teens and teenagers mucking about the house with complaints of boredom and endless misery. I've been without email and internet for four days and I've read two 500 page novels just to keep busy.

My husband and I have installed two hard drives in the past six months. Last night, he installed a third. We are officially back up today thanks to that wonderful man! So today I am setting up accounts, upgrading the browser, installing and configuring programs and trying to salvage anything I can get off of the old hard drive. I am hurriedly trying to catch back up with my email and am oh so happy to be in touch with the world again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey jenny :) oh how I hate how dependant we have become on computers sometimes. My laptop broke down 2 yrs ago and had 2 of my final 25 page papers on it....I had lost it all (incl my mind).

    I think this blog is a wonderful idea and I will def keep reading it :)

    Say hi to the kiddies and see ya thanksgivin :)

    Ur sis
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess! Thanks for stopping by. Sorry about your laptop. What a pain!

    A big shout out to you from everyone here! Looking forward to seeing you and Drew soon.

    ReplyDelete